Smoked Ham Hock & Bean Soup Recipe
A Smoked Ham Hock is comfort as comfort food gets. Better than bacon and butter, a good hock or two brings an unmistakable goodness, better than any soup bone ever couldâ¦ like youâll find with this here Ham Hock and Bean Soup recipe ofÂ my dear olâ gramama Mammy.
Now if you ainât familiar with the Ham Hock, itâs just a fancy name fer the âpig ankle joint.â But donât let that scare ya none! This inexpensive cut of meat & boneâ¦ all itâs smoky, salty, purely porcine assault of flavorâ¦ all itâs fatty skin and connective tissue collagenâ¦ why youâll not only gobble down the whole pot of soup in one sittinâ, but itâll have the youngâens fightinâ fer the hock bones.
Cook up this fine soup with a skillet of cornbread and mmmmmâ¦mmmm. Youâre gonna love ya some Hock!
Fixinâ & Cookinâ:Â âbout 2 1/2 hours or so but not a lot of work
Servings: Â âbout 6 dependinâ on stomach size
- 8 cups water or more dependinâ on yer soup pot
- 1-pound Great Northern beans or navy beans
- 2 to 4 smoked ham hocks, dependinâ on their size and meatiness
- 2 cups of chopped yellow onion (ya can use white if ya want)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- A couple bay leafs
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- A couple celery ribs chopped or sliced thinly
- A couple chopped up carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (careful âcuz the Hock is a might salty)
- 1 -14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice (optional)
Fill yer big soup pot with yer water. Toss in yer beans and bring to a boil fer about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
Throw in yer Smoked Ham Hocks, pepper, thyme, bay leafs, onions, carrots and celery. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are tender (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.) Check and stir once in a while and skim off any foam if ya got it. Â If soup is too thick, add a little more water.
Now, pull out yer Hocks and fork off the meat and toss it back in the soup. Now if ya like, ya can toss in yer diced âmatersâ¦ or not. I prefer it without the âmaters but does make a nice change of pace. Simmer the soup fer âbout another 15 minutes. The remove the bay leafs and dig in!
Love the Hock!